Ignacio Varchausky is a double bass player and founder of Orquesta El Arranque, a tango orchestra with which he has recorded 9 CD’s and toured more than 200 cities in the U.S.,Europe and Asia, including notable performances at Lincoln Center in New York with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, in the Carre Theater in Amsterdam, at Orchard Hall in Tokyo, the Grieg Hall in Norway and the Kennedy Center in Washington.
He is the creator and artistic director of the educational program Orquesta Escuela de Tango Emilio Balcarce (Emilio Balcarce Tango Orchestra School). This school-created in 2000 and featured in the documentary film “Si sos brujo”, directed by Caroline W. Neal- receives the support of the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires and is currently directed by Maestro Víctor Lavalén.
As a music producer, he has more than 20 CDs to his credit, working with an illustrious list of artists, which includes Leopoldo Federico (with whom he won the Latin Grammy in 2009), Gustavo Beytelmann, Julio Pane, Néstor Marconi, Bibi Ferreira, Lidia Borda and Vale Tango.
Varchausky is the founder of the non-profit organization TangoVia Buenos Aires, whose mission is to preserve, promote and develop the art of tango
List of events and CDs produced by Ignacio Varchausky
- Research and production for the book “Arreglos Para Orquesta Típica: Tradición e Innovación en Manuscritos Originales”, a book including Horacio Salgán´s legendary arrangements for orchestra, 2009. (Published by TangoVia Buenos Aires and the Argentinean National Library).
- Raras Partituras 4: Horacio Salgán, a full year of events celebrating Maestro Salgán’s music, in collaboration with the Argentinean National Library, 2008.
- Festival Buenos Aires Tango in Roma, Auditórium, Parco Della Musica, 2006, 2008, 2010
- Festival Buenos Aires Tango in Paris, National Theater Palais Chaillot, 2001, 2003, 2006 y 2008.
- Musical production for the grand show “Efecto Tango,” Lyon, 2005.Festival de Tango Génova 2004, Lille 2004, European Cultural Capital of the Year.
- Artistic direction of Madero Tango, Tango Show in Buenos Aires 2004-2006.
- Concert Series “Tango en Vivo” (Tango Live) in cooperation with “2×4”, the tango radio station of Buenos Aires. More than 100 tango concerts were produced with the help of the Music Division of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, recorded on multitrack digital audio. Via the radio broadcast, the concerts reached a weekly audience of 300,000 listeners. These concerts were later released as a five CD box set through EPSA Music, 2004, 2005
- Production of “Tango Week,” December, 2004 in the Teatro Coliseo of Buenos Aires with performances by Gustavo Beytelmann, Quintet Ventarrón, Nicolás Ledesma, Orquesta El Arranque with Julio Pane, Mauricio Marcelli, Néstor Marconi and Raúl Garello.
- Creation and artistic production of the Gran Orquesta TangoVia Buenos Aires, a “dream team” of the some of the most important tango musicians of the new generation, 2003, 2008.
- Leading protagonist, along with the Maestro Emilio Balcarce, in the documentary feature “Si Sos Brujo: A Tango Story,” which received excellent critical reviews and various international prizes. TangoVia Buenos Aires was co-producer of the film.
- Argentine artistic production of the Concert Series “Latin Tinge” at Lincoln Center in New York which featured Orquesta El Arranque and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis. May, 2001.
TOURS WITH EL ARRANQUE
- Rome: Auditorium Parco della Musica: 2006, 2008 and 2010
- Portugal: Centro Cultural de Belem, 2009
- Brussels: Bozar, Palacio de las Bellas Artes, 2006 and 2009
- Hong Kong Arts Festival, 2007
- Chile: Carnaval Cultural de Valparaíso, December, 2005.
- Japan : Min-On Tour, forty cities, 2002 and 2005.
- Brasil: Canecao in Rio de Janeiro (2005 and 2010), Guaira de Curitiba, SESP in Porto Alegre, 2005.
- Geneva and Lille: Festivals marking these European Cultural Capitals, 2004.
- USA: Tour for Ohio Arts Council and Pennsylvania Council for the Arts, 2004
- Colombia: Tour for the Banco de la República, 2003
- Norway: Norwegian Music Institute and Rikskonsertene (Concerts of the King), 10 cities in 2003
- Bergen: Grieg Hall, ¨Radio Cabulero¨ show, creation and artistic direction, 2002.
- Barcelona: Festival del Grec, 2002.
- Washington, DC : Kennedy Center, April, 2002.
- New York: Lincoln Center, May, 2001.
- Paris: Teatro Chaillot, 2001-2003-2006
- Holland: ¨Tango Tango de Buenos Aires¨, Carré Theater, Amsterdam, 2001.
- Madrid: Festival de Otoño in the Albeniz Theater, 2000.
EL ARRANQUE IN FESTIVALS AND DANCE HALLS ON THE INTERNATIONAL TANGO CIRCUIT
- Germany: Berlín, Dresden, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Regensburg.
- Switzerland: Zurich, Berna, Lugano, Laussanne.
- France: Paris, Lyon, Lille.
- Sweden: Uppsala, Örbro, Stockholm, Tylosän.
- Italy: Bologna, Roma, Padova, Milano, Torino.
- Austria: Viena, Graz.
- Uruguay: Teatro Solís, Sala Zitarroza.
- England: London, Porchester Hall, 1999 y 2002.
CD’s PRODUCED AS ARTISTIC PRODUCER (TITLE-ARTIST)
- Raras Partituras 6: Leopoldo Federico & El Arranque, Epsa Music 2010
- Nomeolvides, Carlos Vilallba y la Orquesta Velázquez, Epsa Music 2010
- Orquesta El Arrastre, Epsa Music 2010
- Tiempo Esperado, Néstor Marconi, Epsa Music, Colección TangoVia Buenos Aires (2008)
- Mi Fueye Querido, Leopoldo Federico, Epsa Music, Colección TangoVia Buenos Aires (2008)
- Raras Partituras 4: Horacio Salgán, Various Artists, Epsa Music (2008)
- Mi Refugio, Walter Ríos, Epsa Music, Colección TangoVia Buenos Aires (2008)
- Tren, Diego Schissi doble cuarteto, Epsa Music (2008)
- Nuevos, Orquesta El Arranque, Epsa Music (2008)
- A tiempo, Noelia Moncada, Epsa Music (2008)
- Instantáneas, Julio Pane, Epsa Music, Colección TangoVia Buenos Aires (2007)
- Cada Vez Que Me Recuerdes, Sayaca Ohsawa, Epsa Music (2007)
- Tango, Bibi Ferreira and Miguel Proença, Biscoito Fino (Brasil, 2006)
- Bardi, Vale Tango, Epsa Music (2005)
- Sigamos!, Gustavo Beytelmann, Epsa Music (2004)
- Maestros, Orquesta El Arranque, Epsa Music (2004)
- Bien Compadre, Orquesta Escuela de Tango, Epsa Music (2004)
- Tango en Vivo, Various Artists (5 CD Box), Epsa Music (2003)
- En Vivo en la Rete Due de Suiza, Orquesta El Arranque, Epsa Music (2003)
- Gran Orquesta Tangovia Buenos Aires, Gran Orquesta TangoVia Buenos Aires, Epsa Music (2003)
- Clásicos, Orquesta El Arranque, Epsa Music (2002)
- Tal Vez Será Su Voz, Lidia Borda, distribuido por Epsa Music (2002)
- Cabulero, Orquesta El Arranque, Epsa Music (2001)
- De Contrapunto, Orquesta Escuela de Tango, Epsa Music (2001)
- Special recognition by AADI for his pedagogical work with Orquesta Escuela de Tango Emilio Balcarce, 2010
- Latin Grammy Award as producer for Mi fueye querido by Leopoldo Federico, 2009
- “Francisco Canaro” Prize awarded by SADAIC, 2007, recognizing Orquesta El Arranque as the Best Newcomer Tango Group of the Decade.
- Diploma of Honor Konex, 2005, recognizing El Arranque as the Best Tango Group of the Decade.
- “Premio Carlos Gardel” to Orquesta El Arranque for Best CD by a Tango Orchestra, 2004, for “En Vivo.”
- Special recognition by SADAIC for the promotion of Argentine tango music in the world, for the Gran Orquesta TangoVia, 2003.
- Invited to be “Honorary Godfather” of the Sixth Tango Festival of Buenos Aires, 2003
- Special recognition by the Chief of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, for his work in the Tango Festival, 2003.
- Judge “Premios Clarín” and “Premios Gardel” since 2003.
- Special invited guest to the Midwest Arts Conference in 2003 and 2004 as international delegate by the Ohio Arts Council.
- Premio Clarín, Best New Group, El Arranque, 1998.
- Nomination for the Latin Grammy, 2004, “En Vivo” by Orquesta El Arranque.
- 4 Nominations for “Premios Gardel” – Cabulero (2001), Clásicos (2002), Tal vez será su voz (2003), Maestros (2005).